Our Labor & Employment Group counsels private and public sector clients on a wide range of issues, including workforce counseling; labor and employee relations; corporate and workforce compliance; review and updating employment policies and procedures; employment litigation; unfair competition and trade secrets; privacy and e-discovery issues; employment training; employee benefits and tax issues; wage and hour compliance; immigration; and government contracts.
Employee Relations/Workplace Counseling
- Prepare and review employment policies and business forms that cover many issues, including:
- Personnel manuals and employee handbooks
- Employment policies and forms
- Employment agreements
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure forms
- Severance and termination agreements
- Arbitration agreements
- Advise clients on day-to-day employee concerns, including:
- Leave law compliance
- Harassment, discrimination, and whistleblower claims
- Wage and hour compliance
- Restructuring or reductions in the workplace
- Employee benefits
- Workplace investigations of employee claims or misconduct
- Conduct anti-harassment and other employment and HR training
- Advise on reduction in force and employee termination issues
A significant portion of the firm”s employment practice is devoted to defending employers in the areas of discrimination, whistleblower, harassment, and wrongful discharge claims. We defend employers on wage and hour claims, contract disputes, trade secret, and unfair competition issues and all other forms of employment and related business litigation on behalf of management.
In addition, the firm represents its clients on employment and business-related claims in mediation and arbitration and assists and prepares them in responding to government audits and investigations. We also provide advice and handle diverse proceedings before a variety of government agencies, including:
- The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- State Human Rights Agencies
- National Labor Relations Board
- United States Department of Labor
- State Wage and Hour Agencies
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- Draft and interpret restrictive covenants, confidentiality, and non-solicitation agreements
- Prevention of employee and customer raiding, protection of trade secrets, customer lists, and other confidential information
- Negotiate and litigate trade secret disputes
- Maintain a non-union environment and assist clients in union campaigns
- Negotiate collective bargaining agreements
- Arbitrate contract and discharge disputes
- Advise clients on every aspect of labor relations and law in the workplace
Labor & Employment Group works closely with our Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits Group to provide counsel and advice on the full array of employee benefits and tax issues arising in the workplace.
We provide legal advice on all immigration issues, including business-related visas, permanent residency applications, and all related immigration issues.
Norris McLaughlin, P.A., is the exclusive New Jersey member of Meritas, a worldwide affiliation of independent law firms across the United States and in 70 countries. Our membership in Meritas enables us to provide our clients with high-quality labor and employment legal services outside the State of New Jersey. The members of Meritas are mid-sized firms which must meet the highest standards of competency and service as a condition of membership.